Saturday, August 07, 2010

Nordstrom







Nordstrom

August 2010 catalogue

1-800-933-3365


The thing that strikes me most about Nordstrom's August 2010 catalogue is the mixture of Seventies (yes, Seventies) style with that of the late Nineteen-eighties. Here we have wedge sandals, platform heels, flared leg (sequin, no less) trousers, and slouchy hobo bags--but--we also have weirdly hybrid legging-pants, denim mini-skirts and quilted leather handbags. The less said about the animal-print handbags the better, I think (hello Mrs. Robinson.....). There are two perfume inserts in this one--Donna Karan's "Cashmere Mist" and Dior's "Miss Dior Cherie." The Donna Karan scent is the less noxious of the two (see how faithful I am to you, my dear Chanel No. 5?).

As in (almost) every catalogue there is One Perfect Item that speaks to me. In this catalogue it is the dress on page 76--a sleeveless black and navy dress for $158.00, which, amazingly, is available in sizes 2 to 14.

The prize for Silliest Item of clothing has to go to Steve Madden's "Trouser" laceless Oxfords. $69.95 and you don't get laces? I think not, Mr. Madden. I recall, all too well, losing a shoe on the stairwell up from the 14th Street Union Square Subway station and the resulting traffic jam as I hopped about on one foot looking for my lost shoe. No my shoes, especially at that price, must have laces!

So, off I go now, to shop in my closet, and see what vintage looks I can recreate (wait....they're all vintage looks, LOL....).

No comments: